FAQs (Starting a Business)

I am a sole proprietor. Do I need to enroll myself as an employer in Fiji?

Yes. Even as a sole proprietor, your business pays out income to you, the owner of the business.

I intend to open a business which sells liquor. Do I need a separate licence?

Yes. You need to also apply for a special license to be able to sell liquor. This applies for many other types of businesses in Fiji, such as hotels and resorts. When registering your company (Step 1), you will be advised on the type of additional license you need outside the standard process. Click HERE to view the Business Risk Categorisation Table.

I am operating an e-commerce business from my home. How should I go about when registering my company?

When registering your company, you will need to state your nature of business and the official company corresponding addresses. From there, the relevant authorities will be able to advise you on the necessary steps/requirements.

I am setting up a company which is linked to my company outside Fiji. Can I use the same name for my company?

We encourage all investors to register with Investment Fiji so that they can assist in such matters. In an event that your company name has been used, the Registrar of Companies (ROC) will advise you on the best way to register your company in Fiji.

What is the Fiji National Provident Fund?

The FNPF is a contribution fund that provides superannuation services to its members: The workers of Fiji. FNPF collects contributions from employers and employees towards the retirement savings for Fijian workers, giving them the comfort of long-term financial security.

For more information, please visit myfnpf.com.fj

What are the changes implemented on 1 August 2020?

1st August 2020 marks the end of business licensing in Fiji. Business incorporation is made simple and easy through an online process of two steps, i.e.

(i) Business name registration with Registrar of Companies; and (ii) Tax Registration with FRCS.

Post registration, low risk businesses can start operation, with the provision to meet other regulatory requirements within 6 months. Whilst high risk businesses can only start operations after obtaining all regulatory approvals.

How do these changes differ from the changes announced on 1st January 2020?

Compared to 1st January 2020, changes as at 1st August 2020, eliminates business licensing process.

What are the criteria for home-based business?

Home-based businesses must comply with the following:

  • Applicant resides on the property full time;
  • Advertisements or signage such as Billboards not more than 1 square meter in size shall be allowed;
  • No large advertisement or signage, such as, billboards will be permitted;
  • The business cannot use mechanical or electrical equipment that creates external noise or cause a nuisance or disturbance to the neighbours;
  • No outdoor storage of material or equipment associated with the business is allowed or any display items outside the house;
  • Business cannot change the principle character or external appearance of the residential property;
  • Business must not generate pedestrian or vehicular traffic or parking in excess of what is normal for that neighbourhood; and
  • Up to and inclusive of 3 employees in the firm shall be allowed.

What is the new process for Starting a Business?

Starting a business is now just 2 simple online processes:

  1. Register business names with Registrar of Companies;
  2. Register for Tax with FRCS.

** Risk classification of business shall determine other regulatory requirements.

Also, if a business sets up in a building which has already been certified by the relevant authorities, there’s no need for them to obtain new certifications for already-approved operations.

Do I need a business license?

As of 1 August 2020, the requirement for obtaining business licensing is eliminated.

How do I know which category my business falls within?

High Risk

Businesses classified as high risk will not be eligible to operate, unless they meet other legislative requirements/relevant compliance requirements such as acquisition of OHS, NFA, Health License, Liquor License, etc.

Low Risk

Businesses classified as low risk are eligible to start operation upon completion of (i) Business name registration and (ii) TIN registration.

For businesses which are being established in a building compliant with OHS and NFA requirements, do not need to re-obtain these certification. In cases where the building is refurbished to suit the business needs, the business will need to obtain both, OHS and NFA certifications.

Click HERE to access the Business Risk Categorisation Table.